Baccarat Third Card Rules: When to Draw a Third Card
In baccarat, there's Banker hand (Banco) and a Player hand (Punto). Bettors wager on the hand that they believe would earn the highest total at the end of drawing of cards. Alternatively, they can wager "Tie" if they guess that both hands would have the same total value.
A baccarat hand consists of two cards, and a third card is dealt conditionally. Baccarat third card rules apply. Baccarat observes the same set of third-card rules regardless of what casino you play in. In short, these rules are fixed.
The objective in baccarat is to have a hand total of 9 or have the closest sum to it. To reach that sum, a third card can be added to the hands if they satisfy the conditions laid down in baccarat third card rules. Firstly, though, baccarat third card rules apply only if neither the Banco nor Punto has a hand total of 8 or 9.
If none, two sets of third card baccarat rules apply - one is for Punto, and another for Banco.
The following are the baccarat third card rules for Punto:
1. If Punto hand total is 6 or 7, no third card shall be added to it.
2. If Punto has a total of 5, a third card shall be added to it.
If Punto draws a third card, Banco follows the baccard third card rules noted below:
1. Banco is dealt another card if it has a total of 2 or less.
2. It is dealt another if it's totals 3 but not if the player's hand totals 8.
3. It is dealt another card if it has a total of 4 but not if Punto's drawn card is 0, 1, 8, or 9.
4. Banco is dealt another card if it has a total of 5, but not if Punto's drawn card is 4, 5, 6, or 7.
5. Banco is dealt another card if it has a total of 6, but not if player's drawn card is 6, or 7.
6. Banco must not hit if it has a total of 7.
In baccarat, all face cards (J, Q, K)& 10 have 0 value and Ace is considered 1. The house advantage for Banco is 1.17% and for Punto, it's 1.36%.
Baccarat third card rules are the conditions for the dealing of a third card for either Punto or Banco if none has reached a total of 8 or 9. Baccarat third card rules are unchangeable. They are an essential aspect of the game so knowing what they are will help you avoid confusion when playing the game.